Lunges are a quintessential exercise; you can do them anywhere and the effects can be seen in no time. They are a great addition to your leg routine and can be completed in various forms.
Read our ‘how to do a Lunge guide’ to learn, improve or perfect this underrated but important exercise.
A lunge is a lower body exercise that targets the glutes, hips, hamstrings and quadriceps. The calf muscles also works in this exercise, as do your abdominal and back muscles as they act as stabilisers during this exercise.
This exercise can be completed using just bodyweight so it can be done anywhere and can easily be included in your HIIT workouts, it also has a number of variations so you can make it harder, the stronger you get.
- Starting Position—Standing with your feet hip width apart, take a stride forward, landing on the balls of your feet.
- Execution— Once you’ve landed, keeping your chest up high and your back straight, drop the trailing knee down, so its around 2 inches from the floor. Pause.
- End Position— Drive your front foot back to the starting position. and repeat on the opposite leg.
Making the Lunge Easier
Some of us aren’t strong enough in our legs to be able to drive off from the bottom part of the lunge. Also the balancing element of being on one leg is quite difficult. So here is a few regression exercises for you to get up to scratch with this exercises.
Lunge from the kneeling position:
Start the lunge off in the kneeling position, have something soft under your knee to start.From that position, drive your knee upwards to the starting position. to repeat, start again, from the kneeling position.
Use some form of equipment, that won’t slide around, to heighten the standing foot. Place the standing foot on the equipment. From there drop your knee down, as low as you can go, then drive it back up.
If the lunge is getting easy and you want to spice up your workout with some new variations, then read below. We have three that will test your legs, take your heart rate and your workouts to the next level.
- Walking lunges- Perform a lunge, as normal, but instead of standing back up to the start to repeat, walk froward and drop your knee to the ground. repeat for as many as you can do, or until the space runs out!
- Plyometric jump lunges- Perform the lunge, as you normally would, from driving up to the start, explode instead, in to the air and landing on the opposite foot. Then repeat!
- Split Lunge- Perform the first repetition of a normal lunge. from there, DO NOT change legs, stay in that position and repeat on the same leg.
Want to take your fitness to the next level? Then sign up to BodyFit PRIME – The 7 day anywhere, anytime workout program for busy people.